Is there anything more romantic than an intimate, candlelight dinner for two out on a lovely patio? We don’t think so. It doesn’t get much better than gazing at the stars and into each other’s eyes while enjoying a delicious meal.
With Valentine’s approaching, don’t fight the crowds at a popular restaurant; make the night all about just the two of you. With a comfortable patio area, this is possible right in your own backyard.
If you don’t have a patio area or feel like yours is quite up to par, don’t fret; there is still time to have the perfect patio for your romantic evening. Here are some great ideas to spice up your patio area just in time for Valentine’s Day.
1. Patio Cover
First and foremost, if you don’t have a patio cover, you should seriously consider investing in one. You won’t regret it.
There are all kinds of patio covers to choose from, including wood, vinyl, aluminum, fabric, and our favorite, Alumawood patio covers. A quality patio cover will make your patio more enjoyable both on Valentine’s Day and every other day of the year.
2. Comfortable Furniture
Having an outdoor patio area without comfortable furniture to go with it should be a crime. It’s hard to relax and enjoy your patio area when you are sitting on furniture that is, well, hard.
If you feel your outdoor furniture could be improved, consider upgrading with some of the following ideas to make cuddling on your new furniture this Valentine’s Day a dream.
Cushions– Improving your patio furniture may be as simple as updating the cushions on your chairs and loungers.
When choosing cushions, opt for quality ones with a soft yet sturdy fabric. You’ll want your cushions to last, but you don’t want them to feel stiff. Look for a design and color scheme that will coordinate with the rest of your patio area.
Swing Chair– A fun way to add more seating to your area is with a swing chair. Install a swing chair built for two, so you and your date can softly sway as you talk about your hopes and dreams or simply enjoy being in each other’s arms.
After Valentine’s Day, your swing chair may become your new favorite place to read or nap.
Pillows– Adding throw pillows to your outdoor furniture instantly ups the comfort factor. Pillows can be a soft place to rest your head, extra support for your back, more comfort for your tush, or something soft to lean on.
3. Eye-Catching Accessories
Another relatively easy way to spice up your patio area is by adding some eye-catching accessories, such as the following:
- Rug– Often, the floor of a patio area is overlooked when it comes to accessorizing. But don’t make that mistake. Make your patio feel cozier by adding an outdoor rug. Outdoor rugs come in all designs, shapes, and sizes, so choose one that flows well with your patio furniture.
- Wind Chimes– For beautiful background noise, hang some wind chimes around your patio area. The soft chimes will create a more romantic atmosphere.
- Water Feature– Another way to add romance to the air is by installing a water feature. A water feature can add nice background noise while also providing a nice focal point. That is, if you can take your eyes off your date.
- Bird Feeders– Invite beautiful birds to your patio by hanging some bird feeders.
4. Fresh Coat of Paint or Stain
If you have a wood patio cover, it needs to be restained or repainted every few years. If that hasn’t been done recently, now is a perfect time. A coat of paint or stain will give your patio a fresh and inviting look.
- Change it up – If you are bored with the current color of your patio cover, change it up. You could go for a bold, new color or change the stain for a more modern look.
- Add Pops of Color– When deciding on the stain or paint you want to use for your cover, consider adding pops of color. This will give your patio a more trendy feel.
5. Flowers and Greenery
Not only do flowers and plants add to the beauty of your backyard, but they also improve the air quality. Create statement pieces with large flower pots or hanging plants. These flowers and plants will last much longer than the traditional Valentine’s bouquets.
Create the ultimate romantic atmosphere by adding some lighting to your patio area.
- Permanent Lighting– A great way to light up your patio area is with permanent light fixtures. These light fixtures can be installed on the walls of your patio area or the ceiling of your patio cover.
- String Lights– A popular trend right now is adding string lights to patios. Some great choices include twinkle or Edison-style string lights.
- Paper Lanterns– Add some whimsy to your patio by hanging paper lanterns around the area. Just be sure they are easy to put up and take down in the event of a storm.
7. Rolling Shades
Consider installing remote-controlled rolling shades on your patio cover to increase privacy and create a more intimate space.
8. Outdoor Entertainment
Finally, you’ll want to add some entertainment factors for the perfect outdoor space. Some great choices include,
- Games– Having readily accessible games is the perfect way to add an element of fun to your evening. You don’t truly know someone until you have played a rousing game of UNO with them.
- Fire Pit– Both visually pleasing and warm, a fire pit is a useful addition to your patio. Not to mention, cuddling next to a fire is not a bad way to spend an evening.
- Sound System– Install a sound system to your patio to add romantic background music or for an impromptu slow dance with your date.
- TV or Projector– Watch a romantic comedy, or any other movie, under the stars with a TV or projector. This is the perfect time for holding hands and sharing popcorn.
Living in desert areas, such as Phoenix, has its advantages. One of those advantages is that you can enjoy your patio area all year. While other regions of the United States are still freezing and buried in snow on Valentine’s Day, people in the Phoenix area can have the perfect weather for an outdoor date.
If you don’t have any sort of patio cover in place, or yours has seen better days, give your local patio cover contractors a call. They can help you create the backyard area of your dreams.